WORLD WAR II
From 1939, when many British workers lost their jobs, the BCF helped to repatriate many British citizens until 1940 when the trustees were obliged to leave Paris. The trustees were able to get money through to 171 elderly pensioners left in the city, via the “Protecting Powers”. After the Liberation in 1944, three trustees returned to Paris and were attached to the Embassy Relief Department until September 1945. The British Red Cross was housed in the charity’s offices in the Avenue Hoche until 1947, when the trustees were able to resume their normal work in the community.